Sailor Moon Tea Cookies
Tea Blend by Cara M.
Recipe Adapted from Judy’s Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies Recipe
Okay, so I really wanted cookies and I currently have a shelf in my pantry that looks like this:
I saw someone who was talking about making food with tea, and I thought, why not.
So then I looked up how to do it, which is basically making an infused butter and using that in the place of your recipe. So that’s what I did, and here’s the recipe I used.
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sifted Whole Wheat flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup and 1 tsp butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (heaping) Tablespoon of your favorite tea (Sailor Moon Tea)
- Half a cup of sugar
- Food coloring (optional)
- In a saucepan, add butter and herbs together and heat on a low heat until melted. Remove from heat and allow to sit and infuse for several minutes. Strain the tea out of the butter.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together in a medium bowl.
- Add the tea-butter to the dry mixture and mix until crumbly.
- Mix in the egg, milk, and vanilla extract until thoroughly mixed.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC)
- If you are rolling out the dough and cutting shapes, chill the dough for an hour. Then roll out dough onto a floured surface and cut into shapes. If you are not going to roll out the dough, chill for fifteen minutes, roll into balls and flatten.
- If you wish to, mix half a cup of sugar with a couple drops of food coloring. Generously coat or sprinkle the cookies with sugar and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown.
*You can, of course, just use 3 cups of all-purpose flour, I just like to use a mixture of the two.
***I’m not sure of vegetarian/vegan substitutions, but feel free to share if you try it out!